All students should be welcomed back into the classroom. Home school classrooms as well.
While you have a little bit of time this summer, develop and finalize a welcome back. Not sure how to do this? Here are a few ideas:
- Hold a First Day of School celebration
- Go out and greet them when they arrive at school/homeschool
- Be visible in hallways
- Mark your classroom clearly with your name and room number
- Assign hallway guides and hang directional signs
- Hang a welcome banner in the classroom —
Harry Wong, author of The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher, says that effective teachers (and schools) welcome students back after their summer breaks. And that everyone –teachers, parents, school administrators, principals, janitors, business people, and the community at large– need to be involved in this.
If schools do not begin with the proper, positive expectations, there may not be a Graduation Day for a student.