Back To Article
|Five Language Arts ‘Sponges’ by La Donna Ourada|
This activity is called “Hink Pink” or “Hinky Pinky” or “Hinkety Pinkety” or “Hitinkety Pitinkety.” The explanation of the different names is part of the game.
Hink pinks are one-syllable words that rhyme. You write down the “definition” and the kids come up with the hink pinks. For example, if the clue is “a large feline,” the hink pink is “fat cat.”
Hinky Pinkies are two-syllable words that rhyme. For example, “the salve given to Jason by Medea to protect him from the bulls” is a “lotion potion.”
Hinkety Pinketies have three syllables (e.g., “when military boats have a race” = “armada regatta”), and Hitinkety Pitinketys have four syllables.
This activity is fun to use as a vocabulary builder, especially with many syllables, or as content review. Kids will also enjoy coming up with the clues and trying to fool you or others.
Following are some sample Hink Pinks:
- a party at a convent = nun fun
- a married rodent = mouse spouse
- an earthquake on a Sunday morning = church lurch
- a “hip” monster = cool ghoul
- what lawyers feel when they lose = brief grief
How about some Hinky Pinkies?
- a bull who sings ballads has a = mellow bellow
- theft of prime cut beef = sirloin purloin
- sibling of a skin blemish = sister blister
- the highest plastic container = upper tupper
- a magical grasshopper = hocus locust
- a magical woman who milks cows = dairy fairy
- an airplane at greater elevation than the others = higher flier
- a rabbit with a sense of humor = funny bunny
- a young cat in love = smitten kitten
- why the child was scared of the storm = frightening lightning
- a fruit that needs a shave = hairy berry
- an anxious snake = hyper viper
- a tired flower = lazy daisy
- a big hill that spits out water = fountain mountain
- a more intelligent boxer = brighter fighter
Ready for some Hinkety Pinketies?
- a place where the national leader lives = president’s residence
- a disturbance during a church service = devotion commotion
- history of spectacles = monocle chronicle
- two drums conversing with each other at a jazz concert = percussion discussion
- a pizza delivery man who needs a shave = hairier carrier
- stripping paint with snakes = serpentine turpentine
- attacking someone with false praise = flattery battery
- a fuzzy UPS man = furrier courier
- race of sea-faring craft = armada regatta
- ships crewed by apes = gorilla flotilla